Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dump Truck Cake





September 15, 2012:  My sweet darling little boy turned 1 year old a few weeks ago.  It was a wonderful day because he chose his birthday as the day he stood up by himself without help and took his first few steps without support.  It was incredible.  We decided to celebrate his birthday a few weeks later with friends and family.  To make it extra special for all of us to remember, I decided to make him an extra special cake.  I searched many different blogs and websites for inspiration and I decided that my little boy deserved a truck cake since he spends a lot of times playing with his trucks.  I found this idea from Taste of Home and was inspired to make a close duplicate http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Dump-Truck-Cake.  The difference is that I chose to make my own cake recipe that was less in sugar and oil.  I did use their frosting recipe but I chose to only use butter... not lard.  I didn't use all of the candy they recommended since we don't eat some of the candy.  And I put the candy or frosting where I wanted as well.  The direction to put the cake together was a little confusing, but I ended up looking at the cake for reference instead of the directions. I   It started off stressful, but once I started working on it, it became easier and more fun. This was my first time making a cake like this and it makes me excited for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment