Saturday, August 4, 2012

Portabella Mushroom Pizza

August 1, 2012-  It was an incredibly busy weekend with family with little to no time for myself.  I definitely noticed a difference in my energy level and mood, and I am making it a rule to always do something for myself.  I knew I couldn't make it to the weekend.  I wanted to try something different that would have  lots of vegetables and be gluten free.  So I did some research and there are so many recipes for Portabella Mushrooms.  There are some using pizza dough and some using Mushrooms instead.  It was amazing of how many recipes were out there!  I decided to create my own using some of the ideas from other sites.  The only change I would make is to use less cheese.  I probably woudl add more vegetables next time as well to give it more flavor.  Here's my version of the Portabella Mushroom Pizza:

Portabella Mushroom Pizza

4 tomatoes, chopped
4 large portobello mushrooms
2 tsp Minced Garlic
1 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 leek, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
Roasted Peppers (Red, Yellow, and/or Orange
Sausage Flavored Tofu
fresh basil
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt (optional)
Mozzarella cheese
Olive Oil

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Heat about 1 TBSP Olive Oil in sauce pan. Crumble the sausage tofu (I rolled mine into mini tofu balls) and add the onion Then stir in the onion until slightly browned and tofu is warmed through and has a nice brown color.
2. Add Minced Garlic, Leek, roasted peppers, and tomato to the onion/sausage mixture and saute until  the tomatoes are soft and the mixture is heated through.
3. Pour Lemon Juice over mixture.
4.  Chop up Basil and stir into mixture (I used Sweet Basil and Purple Basil.)
5. Spray cooking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray.  
6. Clean and remove stem from Mushrooms.  Rub with Olive Oil and sprinkle Garlic and Onion Powder over mushroom.
7.  Place mushrooms on sheet with bottom side up.  Place the tomato/onion mixture in the mushroom and top with cheese.
8.  Bake at 400 for 12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment